If you suffer from snoring, either as the perpetrator of the noise or the sufferer of the noise, you’re probably thinking of ways to make it stop. Of course, no one wants to snore. Or at least no one I’ve met wants to snore. Snoring is disruptive to the sleep of all those involved and there are a few reasons why someone should stop or try to stop.
It’s not easy and I won’t pretend that it’s easy to stop. The important thing is to recognize that you want to stop. It’s almost like drugs, just maybe not so crippling.
If you’re a snorer and maybe you live alone so there aren’t as many people affected you may be wondering why you should care about or try to stop snoring.
Well let’s talk about that.
People snore for a variety of reasons such as their current state of health, how much stress they are under and pure habit. If you are a person who snores due to health or stress issues that should be all the reason you need to stop. By working towards stopping your snoring you will also be working on your underlying issues that cause you to snore.
People who are unhealthy because they are overweight or drink and/or smoke excessively will benefit from working on the issues that cause them to snore.
If you fall into this category here are a few benefits you’ll gain from getting healthy:
- Your snoring will stop
- You will feel more energized
- You will be spending less money on extras like cigarettes and alcohol
- You will feel better about yourself as a person
Notice that all these benefits are for you and not someone else? That’s the point.
A lot of these battles aren’t won in a day. You will need to work on them at a pace that works for you. It’s your life and you need to be the one to make these changes. You have to want to change to make it effective.
So how can you get started on the path to being healthy? There are a few things you can do:
- Eat better. Portion control is amazing for that. It allows you to eat the foods you like in smaller quantities while you train and shrink your stomach.
- It’s amazing what a few jumping jacks can do for a person’s energy level. Maybe enroll in a class. Or start going for speed walks. The important point here is to not overreach yourself. You know the limits of your body. Don’t push them too hard in the beginning.
- Why do you smoke? Why do you drink? Even if you just ask yourself those questions seriously you can overcome these bad habits. Do you smoke because you feel restless? Do you drink from boredom?
Now if you snore because of stress that might be harder to combat and that’s okay. Take some time for yourself and sit down and make a list. What stresses you out? Why? Where you do you feel the most stress? Is it at home? The office? What is the reason for that?
Once you begin to ask yourself those questions you will find out a lot about yourself as a person and what your likes and dislikes are. Once you find the root cause of your stress you can start working on overcoming it. If you are stressed at home is it because you feel overwhelmed by all the housekeeping tasks you have? Can you ask for help or afford to hire a cleaner? If you are stressed at the office is it because of a co-worker or your workload? Try talking to your superior to get these issues addressed. Most employers want their employees to be successful and will listen to you.
After days and months as you combat issue after issue you may find that you are snoring less and less. Congratulations! You’ve managed to overcome what many people spend years and countless amounts of money trying to fix.